April 23, 2007

Important Note Regarding "Yes, No or Maybe - Part 2"

This part took awhile. Eventually, one has to go through everything- even the gadgets in storage. Some things force you to think about how much you really use them. "I just can't wait to kasher this fondue pot I haven't used in 3 years! It will be so much fun to make a Miller Cheese Fondue! Weeeeeeeeeeee!"

Also, a little fog of chaos rolled in sometime during this process. I hadn't gotten all the definitive answers to what could stay or go, and I hadn''t given away my perfectly functional things that were on the balcony. I couldn't use any replacements, because I couldn't use them in my still non-kosher kitchen. (I had already started buying replacements for a few things I knew I would need. I stored them, unopened, on the floor in my office upstairs.)

So imagine me with a boiling pot of speghetti. I go to reach for a plastic collander. My good , slightly used, "must-go" one is one on my balcony. In the case of the collander, something I use frequently, I also have a perfectly good and new one, unopened, upstairs- with a receipt in the bag (you know, just in case I came to my senses). So I run out to the balcony to grab the collander from the Rubbermaid container, use it, wash it, and bring it right back to the balcony. I couldn't use the new one upstairs it in my still unkosher kitchen, but I also still needed to drain the pasta. Imagine my husband watching all of this. (You don't know him, but if you did, it would really help paint a picture).

Or picture me using some beloved item- some little, shiny, indulgent William Sonoma tool that squatted with it's questionable status on the upstairs craft table. Let's make it some kind of special apple corer and slicer. Imagine me running upstairs to use it, wash it and return it. Now imagine me wondering: "Is this time with the apple slicer our last?" Then I would wonder how things could have been different- had I only not put the little guy in the dishwasher...
(Don't worry- this story has a happy ending- it was stainless! All we needed was something similar to a good boiling.)

If you are kashering your home and reach this state, and your spouse was onboard up to this point, he or she will probably jump ship now. Actually, my husband was supportive, and limited himself to silent smirking for the wackier moments.

Also, at this point, I was up late at night visiting various stored appliances I use and love, but not sure if I could keep. WARNING: If you find yourself talking to or stroking a KitchenAid mixer, please take a break! You are going mad, moving dishes around and not sleeping. There may be a watershed moment- for me, I fell down my spiral staircase at 1 AM and broke my toe and bruised the entire right half of my body. I probably would have done this anyway, but I was letting the process stress me out.

Around this time, I called my sister whining: "They are not making this fun for me!" It became an inside joke and a humorous mantra for me.

No comments: